image1 image2 image3

WELCOME TO MYRTLE AND THYME|A HUMBLE COOKING BLOG|FOOD INSPIRED BY TASMANIA

My Mums Date Scones


This recipe fills me with memories of my childhood, rainy grey days outside and mums baking filling the house with all sorts of lovely smells. I think this recipe may have originally been clipped from a packet or container, we used to cut out and paste all the nice recipes we found into books as children. These scones are so super simple and low fuss to make (as well as being fast to cook for impatient little ones!) that I really hope you do try them and love them as much as I do.

MY MUMS DATE SCONES
2 c self-raising flour
1 egg
2 Tbs sugar

½ c cream
½ c milk
½ c chopped dates

Beat egg and sugar with a fork until light. Add cream and milk to the egg. Mix well. Stir through flour and dates. Knead lightly on floured surface until the dough is all together. Pat into a roughly 2cm thick sheet.
Because scone mixture can often be a little tough or dry if you re-roll it to cut the tailings with a cutter I like to divide the dough into 12 equal pieces with a sharp knife and then gently shape the pieces into rounds or squares in my hands.
Place the scones onto lined tray, a few centimetres apart so that they end up as a “scone pull apart” and not one giant scone. Glaze them with a little milk. Bake in very hot oven (about 200oC) for 10-12 minutes. Don’t overcook them or they will be dry.
Scones are best enjoyed straight from the oven, I like these with a little butter and some delightful RhuBru raspberry and rhubarb jam, but you could have whipped cream, honey or whatever you feel like on the day.


These are truly little nuggets of happiness and the smell that will fill your house is amazing! They are also great for making on the morning of a family picnic instead of making a million sandwiches.

If you do end up trying these let me know! Or if you think a different flavour of scone or topping is better, then tell me as well, I’d love to hear from you.


Much love M&T

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from anyone who would like to share their thoughts and ideas with me, and I promise to read each one!
Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share!

M&T xx