image1 image2 image3

WELCOME TO MYRTLE AND THYME|A HUMBLE COOKING BLOG|FOOD INSPIRED BY TASMANIA

Lemon Thyme Shortbread #TASMANIAWEEK



So as you may know the point of this blog is to cook with Tasmanian products and produce, this idea came about from looking through many a blog that was about eating at Tasmanian restaurants, or people cooking in Tasmania but with little mention of local products. To try and kickstart my mini movement in Tasmanian food I have decided to start #TASMANIAWEEK to showcase one or more Tassie products in recipes that are simple, achievable and humble home-style cooking for sharing with friends, because I really do believe there is a sense of community on this little island I call home and that shines through in the care taken to craft and grow Tasmanian products. 

My food may not look like it should grace the cover of Vogue Living, that's because often I have to take 2 or 3 quick snaps while the food is still hot before sitting around a table to share it with family. That is what this food blog is about, not designer ingredients or celebrity names, it's about food made with love, and shared with love, because I believe that cooking for someone, no matter how simple or perhaps burnt it may turn out, is one of the greatest displays of love you can give someone. 

I would like to mention here that none of the companies or maker/growers have approached me or given me anything in return for me using their products (but please feel free to approach me about it! wink wink) all the products I use because I like them, if in the future I am lucky enough for that to happen it will be very visible within the blog. 

This first recipe is so divine that I perhaps, possibly, may have devoured almost all of them! oops! The lemon zest cooks to be more like candied lemon, just so sweet and chewy that it is addictive. I love the subtle hint of lemon thyme in this recipe, it doesn't make the shortbread savory at all, it's still gorgeously sweet and crumbly and melts in your mouth!


Lemon Thyme Shortbread
150g Ashgrove Farm butter, chopped
75g Caster sugar
140g Plain flour
85g Rice flour
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
1-2 Tbs Lemon thyme leaves (pulled off stems)

Make sure your butter is at room temperature, beat the butter and sugar in a stand mixer on med-high speed until pale. Lower the speed of your mixer to its lowest and add the flours gradually, until fairly well combined, then add the zest and thyme and mix for a further minute. 

Turn off the mixer and gently knead the dough (I like to keep it in the bowl for this, no dirty bench tops!) until it comes together and is smooth. Roll your dough into an even log 20-30cm long, then wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (now is when I preheat my oven to 150oC).

Remove the plastic wrap and slice your roll into even sized biscuits (you’ll get 12-16 depending on how you cut it), if you have a stamp to pattern the top you can do that now (I used the bottom of a whiskey glass to do mine). 

Lay your shortbread's on a tray, allowing them room enough to spread, and bake for 30-35 minutes.

When they are done simply remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack to cool, and enjoy!



If you do try this let me know! I’d love to hear your ideas and suggestions.

Much love M&T

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from anyone who would like to share their thoughts and ideas with me, and I promise to read each one!
Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share!

M&T xx