image1 image2 image3

WELCOME TO MYRTLE AND THYME|A HUMBLE COOKING BLOG|FOOD INSPIRED BY TASMANIA

Earl Grey Porridge


When I was little I couldn’t believe the magic that happened when you cooked water and oats, how did water make something so creamy? Surely grandma was adding milk and cream without telling me, and expecting me to believe that water made this amazing warming bowl of comfort. In those days I liked my oats super sweet topped with homemade raspberry jam and sprinkled with brown sugar. This recipe is a little more adventurous with its flavours than my oats humble beginnings, but I hope you like it all the same. The traditional breakfast flavours marry really well in this recipe to bring a gorgeous smooth porridge perfect to brighten a dark stormy morning.


 Earl grey porridge:
½ C quick oats
earl grey tea bag 
2 Tbs milk
3 Tbs orange juice
¼ C blueberries
1 Tbs Taverner's vanilla honey

Brew the earl grey as you would a normal cup of tea, (you will need approx. 250-300ml hot water). Let the leaves draw for a few minutes until you have a strong tea, then remove and discard the bag. Place the oats in a small saucepan with all the listed ingredients. Simmer gently on a med-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the oats are delightfully creamy and thicken.
Pour into a bowl and top with a little honey or nuts if desired.


The orange juice adds a lovely subtle sweetness, and really compliments the bergamot flavours in the tea. The tea blend I used has cornflower petals and a touch of dried orange rind. If you are really against the idea of orange juice in your oats then leave it out and just add the Taverner's vanilla honey, it goes really well with the combination of flavours in this porridge (and it's made right here in Tasmania, the company also brews honey beer!).
It is completely possible to make this porridge in the microwave, but I really do feel that it tastes better from the stovetop! You can also use rolled oats, they just take a little longer to cook.


The weather here is slowly getting more dark and gloomy, so there is no better way to brighten a day than to make beautiful food that will make you smile on the inside and out.
If you end up trying this let me know! Or if you think a different blend of tea might be better, then tell me as well, I’d love to hear from you.


Much love M&T

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from anyone who would like to share their thoughts and ideas with me, and I promise to read each one!
Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share!

M&T xx